Self-Critique

The ability to self-critique is a must have skill that I honestly haven't practiced too much. Most times I rely on others to find things I missed, which is fine if you've given your work a hard look first. I figured this would be a good time to start practicing.

*Before I begin I want to share my personal insight into the process of drawing. If you would like to skip this part you can check out my critique below. So many times (character design, sculpting, and modeling classes) when trying to learn to draw I have been given an anatomy book and was instructed on proportion and measurements. I personally do not like this approach and feel it does not cover the entirety of what is needed to really practice successfully. It wasn't until I took a fine art drawing class at the Academy of Art that I really understood what drawing, in its entirety, was. When I was told to just draw I did just that, I mindlessly drew...which teaches nothing (believe me I learned nothing in 2 years). When someone said lets start with basic shape and how basic shape translates to the mannequin gesture style I started to get it. Then I really learned negative space and how it can be used in the mass gesture style. Then when you have some confidence you can translate that into the linear gesture style.

The major realization is that measurement is one step in a much grander process. This process is described really well by Dorian Iten. He describes the different processes by attaching them to glasses. You have alignments, angles, measurements, implied lines, and creaturizing. I won't go over each one, but here's the link if you would like the free breakdown (http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/).

Drawing all the sudden became so much more complex with so many ways of calculating form. Practice became studies in implementing the process and seeing if I could perfect it. That said, lets look at the errors in practice! *Rant Over*







From these critiques I can see that I have a consistent issue with the head, aligning different parts of the form, measurements, and at times hands. I also noticed that I didn't use implied lines much in my critique which is a red flag. I have a lot to work on but I have enjoyed being the one to tear up my work because it means I'm growing.

Comments